Monday, November 28, 2016

Introducing: Silvo Vatanen, ISM Guitar and wind teacher


Where are you from and what instruments do you play?
I was born in Hanko but lived my childhood in Järvenpää and now live in Helsinki. I play flute, South American flutes like quena and zampoña, charango (small 10-stringed instrument from South America), and guitar.

If you weren’t a musician what would you be doing?
Maybe a sound/music therapist

Where did you study?
I studied at the Folk Music Department of Sibelius Academy

Where are you studying now?
At a moment I don’t study.

What was the thing that got you interested in music?
My father plays piano and organ and he was my first teacher as a child. Later I became interested in native cultures of both North and South America, and also the music.

Who is your favourite musician/composer?
Don’t have just one. I like many kinds of music. Very difficult to say just one. Bach, Väsen, Ale Möller, Jonas Simonsson, Timo Alakotila, Iegor Reznikoff, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Maija Vilkkumaa, Los Kjarkas, Illapu, Lucho Quequezana...

Tea or coffee?
Both

Cats or dogs?
Both

Salad or Pizza?
Both

What is your favourite season?
Early autumn

What is your favourite food?
Indian food, pizza

Do you have hobbies?
Reading books about philosophy/religion

Do you have children? What are their names?
One daughter called Emilia


No comments:

Post a Comment