Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Introducing: Lucy Abrams, ISM Clarinet Teacher







Where are you from and what instruments do you play?
I'm from Wilmette, IL, a north suburb of Chicago and I play clarinet.

If you weren’t a musician what would you be doing?
It's hard to imagine (!) but I like to think I would do something cultural/socio-cultural.

Where did you study? 
I studied at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and the Eastman School of Music in the US.  I spent a year at the Musikhögskolan in Malmö and since the fall 2013, have studied at the Sibelius Academy.

Where are you studying now?
The Sibelius Academy!

What was the thing that got you interested in music?
My parents encouraged me to pick an instrument when middle school band was introduced in the 5th grade, when I was around 10. My mom made sure I stuck with it through high school, because she thought it would be a nice activity and help me make friends.

Why are you in Finland?
I came to Helsinki from Malmö to continue working with my clarinet teacher.

Who is your favourite musician/composer?
I admire most musicians, and artists.  Anyone committed to their craft.  Some of my favorites - Barbara Hannigan, Alfred Brendel, Joanna Newsom, Andrew Bird.

What has been your most special musical experience to date?
I spent a month this summer in Sapporo, Japan at the Pacific Music Festival and it was incredible.

Do you have any secret/not-so-secret (unmusical) talents?
I used to take karate, I was a black belt once upon a time...

Do you have a guilty pleasure?
I suppose it's not guilty but I love to cook.  And eat when cooking.

Tea or coffee?
Tea in the morning, a cup of coffee in the afternoon.

Cats or dogs?
DOGS.

Salad or Pizza?
Both, salads usually, pizza on special occasions.

What is your favourite country to visit?
I love to travel, especially to new places.  Some old favorites - Florence and Paris.

What is your favourite season?
Fall

What is your favourite food?
Cake.

Do you have any hobbies?
Cooking, exercise, yoga, knitting.

If you could take three things to a desert island, what would you take?
My parents, closest friends, and a kindle with an unlimited supply of books.

Do you have any pets? 
A dog, hopefully one day soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment